Sunday, September 17, 2006

 

After "church" this morning, Jody, Hillary and I went to Biloxi for their annual Seafood Festival. True to our Arkansas roots, we ate smoked sausage, a hot dog, and a rib plate (respectively) at a SEAFOOD festival! There was a nice crowd, good music, lots of vendors, LOTS of good food to choose from (even though we skipped paying the extra five bucks for the gumbo cook-off), but the weather was HOT!!!!! We didn't stay a long time. After eating and wandering and standing in line a long time to get Hillary a cherry snow-cone, we headed back to the house.

Our worship time was interesting this morning. I've been preaching through Matthew, and taking it as it comes, my topic today was "divorce" (from Matthew 5: 31-32). I was a bit nervous taking on this difficult and emotional topic, but I thought it went well over all.

After my sermon, one of my elders motioned for me to come to the back with him (which is really bad karma after preaching a sermon on a controversial topic!), and when I made it to the lobby, I saw our friends, Tandy and Peggy. They had come late with the news that Mrs. Louise (Peggy's mother) had passed away this morning. Peggy had the great idea of tacking on an impromptu memorial service to the end of our worship, and this is what we did. It was simply beautiful.

I began by requesting that folks who love Tandy and Peggy to come and surround them, and it was moving to see the people come to comfort them. They had people sitting around them, between them, almost on top of them!!! I said a few words off the cuff, then our song leader (Trent) led a couple of songs Peggy had requested ("A Beautiful Life" and "I'll Fly Away"). Afterwards, I had the chance to say a few more words and then close with a prayer. Then, the hugging began in earnest.

And it was good.

Peggy asked if it was possible for me to travel to Tennessee and officiate the funeral this week, and after a bit of rearranging, it is going to work out. And I'm glad. It's an honor to return one of the many good deeds that this wonderful couple has offered us over the years...

Tonight, I pray that God bless Tandy and Peggy, and that He will tell Mrs. Louise "hi" from all of us.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist