Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

What's in a hospital? Oh, I know what you'll say: patients and medicines, doctors and nurses, bad food and huge medical bills... And you'd be right. But there's much more there, too. There is one particular hospital in Jonesboro, Arkansas, that contains memories of both of my daughters births, along with the painful memory of my dad's final breath. And the Ocean Springs Hospital has its special places, too. Of Karen Mize's final days last week. And of Mrs. Louise's struggle as I write today.

Mrs. Louise was a talented artist and a high-energy go-getter LONG before we got to know her. By the time we came into her life, she was a stubborn survivor. A horrible accident and a massive stroke didn't leave much room for hope when she moved in with her daughter and son-in-law 23 years ago, but just a little hope and a lot of fight proved to be enough. And she's still fighting.

Mrs. Louise fell and hurt her hip Sunday night, and the first report came back that she had broken the ball completely off her hip. Upon further examination, it was determined that the ball isn't there! No one knows for sure how long it had been since it had deteriorated.

She is having a hard time breathing today, and although that is normal, it is now much worse. She is having a hard time communicating today, and although that is normal, too, it has also worsened. When I visited her today, Tandy and Peggy had stepped out for about an hour. I said a prayer with Mrs. Louise and held her hand. She was able to say "okay" to a couple of questions through the oxygen mask as she fought to take every single breath.

But a fighter is what she is. And the hospital knows it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Today involved putting my class for Sunday together, as well as fighting a computer to extract a video that I want to play at the end of my Wednesday class (which will be GREAT if it actually works!).

I got to eat lunch with our friends from Killen again today. The cook insisted I stay and eat, and I didn't fight her very hard. We had a very good spinach/cornbread sort of casserole, Italian cole slaw, orange "stuff" (congealed salad), and some cherry cobbler. Excellent all around... This work crew is working at Larry and Jo's house, and I learned today that Jo isn't doing well. Larry has his continued heart condition, but now Jo is having a very hard time with her legs. How does it sound losing every possession you worked all your life to acquire, followed by losing your health? I praise God for folks from Alabama who continue to come and help this family.

I enjoyed ladies' class this morning. I know that sounds funny, since I am of the male gender you know, but after they roped me into teaching years ago, I discovered that this is one of my favorite things. We began sorting through the mess known as Romans chapter eleven today, and we made it halfway through. If nothing else, it inspired my bulletin article for this week!

I've just finished another three chapters in Brian McLaren's book, "A New Kind of Christian." One of my great email friends, Tom, sent me three McLaren books to see what I thought about them. I began this book recently, but last week was so nuts that I had to put my reading on hold. I climbed back into the book today and reintroduced myself to Dan and Neo and their venture into postmodern Christianity. Very good, yet familiar stuff for me so far...

As of now, there's nothing major planned for tonight (which, although that is the only night like this on the calendar this week, I'll take what I can get!). I hope to get a chance to read a little Dave Barry, do a little jogging (if these storm clouds cooperate), and hang out with my family (if homework doesn't mess with that too much).

Happy Tuesday!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist