Thursday, October 26, 2006

 
One thing I can say about folks down here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast: we sure know how to throw a good parade.

I picked up my normal carload of kids for Kids Club this afternoon, and on the way to the church building they mentioned that there was a homecoming parade downtown this afternoon. Well, I'm always on the lookout for unique picture-taking opportunities, and a homecoming parade sounded like a winner to me.

I parked by the Ocean Springs Community Center and found myself a convenient spot close to the beginning of the parade route, expecting a tiny high school parade. I leaned against the fence in front of the Walter Anderson Museum and waited for the show to begin.

I'm telling you, it was really, really good. There were police cars and fire trucks, marching bands and motorcycles, decorated floats and convertibles with pretty girls, and even the unique idea of using big boats as floats themselves. And of course, there could not be a parade in Mardi Gras country without lots and lots of candy and beads.

It was an impressive parade for a homecoming game, and tomorrow night the 7-2 Ocean Springs Greyhounds will take on the Gulfport Admirals in the reason for all the hubbub.

I just might have to go and watch...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist