Thursday, October 12, 2006

 
What a bunch of thugs!!!

Today was a day for preacher meetings I guess.

I began with breakfast at the Bayview Gourmet at the invitation of one of my good friends (and faithful readers!) with a bevy of Episcopalian clergy. I must pause to say that I have never used the phrase “bevy of Episcopalian clergy” before, but I like the sound of it! What a neat group of folks! It turns out that I was the only one who actually drove a car to breakfast. Both Marcia and Wayne rode scooters, Bruno his bicycle, and Harold his “hog” (for all my readers back in Arkansas, I’m referring to his Harley-Davidson motorcycle, not an actual farm animal). Harold is the rector of the Church of the Redeemer in Biloxi, whose building site and Hurricane Camille Memorial (now ruins) is the site of one of the most dramatic scenes following Katrina. I very much enjoyed my time with this neat group and look forward to another round of lively discussion very soon…

Then lunch consisted of the gang pictured above, a collection of Church of Christ preachers, so you know that group was trouble!
* On the far left is Cornell, preacher at the Meridian Street Church of Christ in Moss Point. Cornell has the best laugh of any preacher I know, along with a mischievous sense of humor!
* Next to Cornell is Les, preacher at the Orange Grove Church of Christ in Gulfport. Les came to the Coast about a year before me, and we became instant friends as soon as I arrived.
* In the middle, appropriately, is Roger. Roger is now 77 years old, and the most delightful man you will ever meet. He preached in Homestead, Florida, when powerful Hurricane Andrew slammed South Florida. He was on his second tour of duty in Biloxi just over a year ago when Killer Katrina came through. So Roger has been on the inside of two of the most amazing events in American history, most especially for a preacher. His health led him to retire after Katrina, but he was back this week in hopes of seeing everyone. We got together for lunch at his request.
* Next to Roger is Lyle, the “new” preacher at the Rodenberg Church of Christ in Biloxi (following Roger), fresh to the Coast from Gainesville, Florida. Roger wanted us to meet Lyle, and we all enjoyed his company very much. He was very gracious even though we all acted like ourselves! I hope he will come back to another meeting!
* On the far right is my great friend, John, preacher at the Central Church of Christ in Pascagoula. John is the king of preacher-blogdom. In addition to checking out his personal blog, you need to go to the links page on his church website to find so many good links that you’ll never have to leave your house again (if you don't believe me, I dare you to check it out!)!

Best I can tell, supper will be with my family instead of a bunch of preachers. But I needed those other two meals today, mostly for the great people involved, but also for the friendships (some new, some old) that those people represent.

Comments:
Thanks, Al. I enjoyed the million laughs over lunch ... and you sharing your nachos with me (although I had to ASK). You are a precious friend and brother in Jesus.
 
Thanks, John!

Let's see, I don't remember your sharing any of your meal with me??? Hmmmm.....

:-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist