Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 
Fierce thunderstorms ripped through our area today, bringing over seven inches of rain to the Coast, along with significant tornado damage in counties just north of us. It was all more than a bit reminiscent of Hurricane Katrina for many folks. Those feelings will remain close to the surface for a long time to come it seems.

My daughter's fourth grade class began the day with 20 kids in attendance. There was some confusion on the television station this morning about schools closing (actually the 5th grade school did close today from roof damage), and by day's end, there were 8 kids left in her class. I'm sure most of the parents that came to check out their kids did so because of the confusion, though I suspect the memories of Katrina and the accompanying desires to have your children close by factored in to many of those decisions.

Hurricane Katrina thoughts came back even stronger tonight at our Peak of the Week Class. There weren't very many of "us" there tonight, I guess because of the storms. But there were two relief groups in town today that have been here before: the New London Christian Church (Iowa) is back at our place, and our friends from the Lone Oak Church of Christ (Paducah, KY) are working at Central CofC in Pascagoula, but they came over tonight to see old friends.

At the end of class, Mitchell Covington (preacher at Lone Oak) remembered that he had a DVD that he had made after their first two trips to Ocean Springs. He gave it to Mr. Jim, and we all sat down to watch it. It was a wonderful DVD for anyone to watch (Mitchell did a GREAT job on it), but it was especially poignant for us to watch. I don't cry, and I didn't, but I thought about it. :-) Memories.

It was neat after all was said and done, too, to watch the folks from the New London Christian Church and the Lone Oak Church of Christ getting to know one another. Just another good thing coming from this storm...

So starting early today, Hurricane Katrina reared her head more visibly than she has in a while. But just like I should expect by now, it all turned out good in the end.

Comments:
Hey ... great pic. I have not even had a chance to meet these good folks. Maybe tomorrow ... if I get to breakfast...that's about the only shot. It's great to get to know our brothers and sisters ... we've been apart too long.
 
Thanks, John!

Mitchell said he hadn't met you yet. He's a character, and I think you'll really like him.

We do need to hook up again soon. I'm going to Mobile today to see Danielle, then will be on the road Friday/Saturday pretty much. Then Thanksgiving. So... sometime?
 
Thanks for keeping up the good work there Al!

Hey, what lectureship/seminar are you going to next year?
 
Planning on Pepperdine. You, too?
 
Thanks for the great work that you guys do on the Gulf coast.

Hey have you folks heard or seen Jimmy Buffett's new "Bama Breeze"? It is a tribute to the coast in his own special way ...

Yep, I will be a Pepperdine too. Working on a new project with John Mark Hicks on worship.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Maybe I can meet you there, Bobby?!

I like Jimmy Buffett's music, but I haven't heard of Bama Breeze (yet). I'll have to do a little searching...
 
Yep, I am planning on the 'Dine. Actually teaching a class there.

But I also can attend another during the year- and I am looking.
 
And I would recommend checking out whatever Bobby and John Mark will do there. It will be rich stuff for sure.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist