Friday, November 10, 2006

 
There are blue skies outside, and it is Friday. Right now I don’t care about blue skies and Fridays. I remember a children’s story about Alexander having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Today is an Alexander day. Already.

I love Shawn and Danielle (and Ethan, too!). They make a beautiful family, and I count it a privilege to have shared so many neat things with them.
* I remember the day Shawn walked to the front of our auditorium with a huge smile on his face, ready to be baptized. He hadn’t grown up in this particular church, but he knew what he wanted to do, and you could read the pride and joy in his decision on his face.
* I remember the day not long afterwards when Danielle, who did grow up in this church family, made the same decision. Danielle is much more private, so we made arrangements when there would be less fanfare, and I had the honor of baptizing her, too.
* It was during this time that Shawn & Danielle were engaged to be married. I was new to the preaching game, but Danielle’s grandmother felt they would benefit from some pre-marital counseling and had them ask me to do so with them. I’d never done that sort of stuff before, but we muddled through those special times together.
* I remember the day I officiated their wedding ceremony. I laughed in the side room while Shawn’s brother took pictures of Shawn puking in the toilet – he was so nervous! I remember shy Danielle standing before me calm as a cucumber while Shawn trembled. It was a beautiful sight.
* I remember when Ethan was born, and the request from Shawn that scared me to death. Shawn’s family’s religious tradition involved christening babies, and he knew we didn’t do that sort of thing here, but he wondered if we could do something for his family. My job flashed before my eyes! But we did. We met on a Saturday morning, and we had a sweet dedication service for this new life in the world.
* I remember the phone call when Danielle was pregnant with her second child, informing me that this baby would never see the light of day. Shawn & Danielle wanted a graveside service for this tiny child, and I was honored to officiate.
* I remember hearing that Danielle was pregnant again! Everyone loves Danielle. She’s so sweet you just have to, which makes all the ladies feel tremendous guilt at their jealousy of how Danielle can be pregnant and not look like it!

I’ve baptized and counseled and married and dedicated and eulogized for this family. I am connected in a way no one else can be.

And now, I’ll never forget today either.

Danielle’s grandmother called in tears this morning to tell me that Danielle’s water broke this morning. They are rushing her to a hospital, though she was confused as to which one (I think USA in Mobile). She asked me to pray and to ask for prayers, so that’s what I’m doing until I know more to do.

In spite of Friday blue skies, today is undoubtedly a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Comments:
Okay, it is good to have an elder who is a pediatrician. Just got off the phone with him, and he said that - depending on the due date - there is still hope...

So I'm praying that way. That Alexander can have his stinkin' bad day, and that Shawn & Danielle's ends up with blue skies after all.
 
I'll update more tomorrow. No blue skies yet. So those who read along, please keep praying for this special family.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist