Thursday, November 02, 2006

 
There were several interesting things going on today, but I thought I'd hone in on the Habitat for Humanity of Jackson County meeting I attended tonight.

Pictured above are the six newest Habitat families. Cynthia Black, the Family Support Chair that succeeded me, arranged for tonight's meeting to do the initial introduction for these recently selected folks. This was the first time for Cynthia to do a training session, and she did GREAT!

Nicole, the chair of the Development Committee (whether she'll ever admit it or not!) conducted another one of her excellent attempts to get non-construction volunteers plugged into the organization.

Both Cynthia and Nicole HATE public speaking, so when we arrived early, they came up with this idea of having me do the talking to both groups at the same time, introducing Habitat for Humanity's history and philosophy. I basically never turn down an opportunity to speak about Habitat, so I was happy to do so.

The first thing I said is that I had good news and bad news for me! The bad news was that I was totally unprepared to speak tonight. The good news was that I could speak about Habitat without needing a moment's notice.

Of the many things I naturally say about Habitat, the one that I remember sitting here at my computer a few hours later is this: Habitat is not just another organization. It is the only organization I know of that truly seeks to bring all people together, entire communities - from every background - through serving the poor in the name of Jesus.

I still wish a church fit that bill, too.

Comments:
Hey Pamela! I just ran across this comment a month after you added it! Sorry for not replying sooner, and saying "thank you" for your kind words.

Yours,
Al
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist