Friday, December 01, 2006

 
If all December is like its first day, I'm going to have a really good month. And I'm going to be really tired.

Today was long only in terms of hours (15 hour day), but it was a great day when it came to people:
* I spent the morning getting some things ready for our big Single Parent Network kickoff tomorrow, which allowed me to spend some time with Marcie Jenkins and then have a great visit with Eileen Logan (which I needed)
* I had lunch with my great friend, Bruno. Although I did most of the talking, I kind of needed to talk there, too, and there is no one better than Bruno for the conversation. In addition, I had the honor of meeting his wife, Linda, for the very first time.
* This evening, we put in about five hours with a LOT of great people from our church family desperately getting all the finishing touches together for the Single Parent Network. I left at 10pm, and there were four ladies still working hard. I was reminded of how many good people we have in our church family, and that folks will show up for a cause more than anything else.

But my highlight of the day was seeing my old friend, Eric Delage (pictured above). I met Eric not long after I began preaching in Ocean Springs, and I discovered him to be a wonderfully interesting person. He grew up in a different branch of Christian faith, and for some reason or another we connected with one another. At one point, completely on his own (and in private), he wanted me to baptize him. It was my honor of course, an honor I haven't forgotten.

Eric is an independent person and approaches life in his own way, and all this I find very engaging. After the Air Force transferred him away from us five years ago, he has traveled all over the world. I've received the occasional email from him from places like England, Korea, and even Bahrain. He is currently stationed in Virginia, but who knows where he will go from here.

I hated that today was busy, so our visit had to be short-circuited. And tomorrow he flies back to Virginia. But it was neat tonight to see him, even if the visit was a short one.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist