Sunday, January 07, 2007

 
I guess it's appropriate that it's stormy outside with "tornado watch" pasted on the television screen. After all, my sermon this morning was titled, "Rising Above the Storm."

My text today was a story that probably means more to me than any other following Hurricane Katrina - the story of Jesus calming the storm in Matthew 8.

"Why are you so afraid?"

And my major illustration today was a story that probably means more to me than any other illustration following Hurricane Katrina - the story of Sir Ernest Shackleton's incredible adventure aboard the Endurance in 1914-1915.

Can you say leadership?

Of all the post-Katrina thoughts I've had, I guess I could sum up the major ones for me by saying that I've learned that fear isn't necessary in a disaster, but confident leadership is most definitely needed.

I've finally begun reading the book pictured above, and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far (if any Katrina book can truly be "enjoyed"). Brinkley is an amazing historian at Tulane University in New Orleans (so a true local), and even though I'm only one-third of the way through the book, he has done a masterful job so far of somehow combining the relaying of facts with intimate stories. Although I'm sure this is not Mayor Nagin's favorite book, it is quickly becoming one of mine.

At times I grow weary of talking about Katrina, but I'm fully aware that on some level that horrible storm will be a landmark event in my life. So if you're going to check out my blog regularly, you might expect a reference here or there.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist