Monday, January 29, 2007

 
I'm still reading War and Peace, and I really think I'll stick with it to the end. It's still a bit intimidating to say things like 250 pages down, 1205 pages to go! But that is where I stand, and Tolstoy has captured me in his story.

* I'm a bit concerned for Nikolai Rostov after his war injury at such a young age. He is having to grow up quickly, and so far he hasn't handled it all too well.

* I'm impressed with Andrei Bolkonsky. He was heroic in battle, but I wonder about his future on the homefront with his pregnant wife, Lisa. I'm not sure how Andrei will be changed by his dangerous encounters with the army of his enemy (and hero), Bonaparte.

* I don't know what to expect from Pierre. To become so wealthy at such a young age is dangerous for anyone, especially for someone as clueless and impetuous as he.

* And, of course, there's trouble brewing with Pierre's fortune anyway, what with Prince Vasily and the trio of Pierre's cousins (not to mention Anna Mikhailovna) all upset about being left out of the inheritance by Count Bezukhov.

And this is just the beginning...

I've barely been introduced to Prince Vasily's spoiled sons and gorgeous daughter, Prince Andrei's wacky father and naive sister, and all the budding romances from young Boris & Natasha to the little Sonya/Julie competition over Nikolai (and snitty Vera with her vicious comments).

I'll have to keep you updated as things develop.

This month, Time Magazine published an article ranking the Top 10 books of all-time. War and Peace came in third, with Tolstoy garnering the honor of holding both 1st and 3rd place on the list. If you are interested in some light reading, here's the list:

#1: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
#2: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
#3: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
#4: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
#5: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
#6: Hamlet by William Shakespeare
#7: The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
#8: In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
#9: The Stories of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov
#10: Middlemarch by George Eliot

(Before attempting War and Peace, I've read one of these books. I bet you can guess which one!)

Comments:
I don't know where you find the time to do all you do!

Do me a favor, check out my site
http://chiefboats.blogspot.com/
and watch the video I just linked (hopefully it still works). I think you'll enjoy it.

Aloha
 
What do you mean you don't know where "I" find time to do things? One look at that AWESOME video, and I'm supposed to be in awe of you!!! That was super cool...

I'll have to pass that around! Thanks, Ric!!!

(And btw, I read "War & Peace" for about 15-20 minutes a day is all - I'm not setting a land speed record!)
 
Same book we were all forced to read in jr. high school!
 
You read "War and Peace" in junior high school???

In Arkansas, we were up to Dr. Seuss. (Just kidding!!!!!!!!)
 
After your finished with War and Peace, pick up In Search of Lost Time. It makes W & P look like a short story.

You know, just to pass the time.
 
Will I need a forklift to pick it up?

What's your opinion of "War & Peace" Mikey? I should have consulted an expert opinion before getting sucked in!
 
Never read it! HA! Although it is on my to do list. I loved Anna Karenina, though. And I've only read the first volume of In Search of Lost Time. It's painstakingly slow. But I'll probably re-read it at some point and take a stab at the other 6 volumes.
 
My life is now complete. "If" (hopefully, when) I finish War & Peace, I will have read a classic that neither Mikey nor Trent has read.

Yea me!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist