Wednesday, February 21, 2007

 
If there were such positions, George & Lou Fain would be considered the patriarch and matriarch of the Ocean Springs Church of Christ. They first came here in 1959, and they have been leading ever since. When church news happens, it is simply understood that you call George & Lou first.

George has served as elder, teacher, song leader, building-fixer-upper, and everything else along the way, while Lou has filled in many roles, most significantly the originator of the "bear ministry" which is still going after passing a decade and the 10,000 teddy bear mark.

I went with Hillary to take their picture today for my church photo-project, and we ended up visiting in their home for two hours - which was a perfectly delightful way to spend an afternoon...

When I first sent an inquiry to Ocean Springs about their preaching position in late 1998, I had never met George & Lou, but it was their connection that even made it possible for me to be here. Lou's brother, James, was the Executive Director of Children's Homes, Inc., where my wife & I served as houseparents for three years (1995-1998). It was that unknown (to me) "connection" that helped pave the way for my family's move to Ocean Springs.

So they're even extra special to me...

Comments:
They are great people! Thanks for highlighting them in their service to God. How many children have had a moment of comfort from one of those bears? Awesome.
 
Thanks for checking in, guys! George & Lou are two great people...
 
What a lovely tribute to my folks! Thanks for recognizing them for the wonderful Christians they are. I want to be like them "when I grow up!"
 
Just stating the facts, ma'am.
:-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist