Monday, February 12, 2007

 
My friend, Shannon, sent me this picture today of Coach Dungy and the Indianapolis Colts praying in the locker room after their Super Bowl victory. Of the reasons one might appreciate the picture, my personal favorite is that the Lombardi Trophy is not central. Instead, it simply sits to the side. Where it belongs.

I did a presentation to a class of eighth graders at the Ocean Springs Middle School today on behalf of the Mississippi Scholars program. This program encourages high school students to undertake a more rigorous class schedule than the bare minimum, and these presentations are intended to get students off on the right foot by teaching them the consequences of the choices they will soon make. This is my third year to make a presentation, and I have to admit that today's class was the most attentive & thoughtful class yet.

I particularly enjoyed speaking with a young man after class who had made it clear at the beginning of class that he intended to go into the music industry, a desire confirmed by his choice of t-shirt. He stayed after and addressed me courteously to seek advice on his songwriting. He knew I had written books (not a songwriter), but he was looking for inspiration from any possible source. I told him a few things, specifically to write from his heart, but I'm sure that the person inspired today was me.

My day began hard. I received a horribly important telephone call before going to the Middle School. It was horrible because a very close friend is suffering through a terrible time in his life, and it was important because he is my very close friend, and I am glad he felt as if he could call at a time like this. He has been on my mind all day long, and he will be for a long time to come. Forever, I suspect. But as for his current trial, I wish I had more to offer than my hurting heart, a willing ear, and a troubled mind. But that is all I have to give, so I give them all without question.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist