Friday, March 09, 2007

 
(A picture of one of our subdivision's ducks this morning with the hazy new townhouses in the background.)

I spent an unforgettable afternoon attending a graduation ceremony for a friend at the Home of Grace, a Christian-based program for those battling addictions. But let me start back a few years prior...

I went to the LaFont Inn in Pascagoula several years ago now to speak on behalf of Habitat for Humanity. There were two guest speakers that day, myself and Tony Lawrence, who was running for district attorney. While waiting for whatever organization we were speaking to on that occasion, I had the pleasure of getting to know Tony a bit.

Tony won, and I next saw him a couple of years later when I went to court with a family whose adult son (my age) had violated parole after several substance abuse problems. When the prisoners were marched into court handcuffed wearing their orange jumpsuits, it humbled me to consider that my involvement with Habitat for Humanity had led me to know someone who held a significant part of the future for the family I knew in his hands. It turned out that my knowing the D.A. had absolutely no effect that day, but it was a poignant moment for me nonetheless.

Fast forward some more and you'll find my friend in the orange jumpsuit admitted to the program at the Home of Grace. He had been in my office on various occasions with lots of tears, but he invariably left to go back to his addictions. I had helped him find a good job in a good environment, and I had always been a shoulder to cry on, but the pull of his typical lifestyle proved victorious every time. Until this time, that is. Sequestered at the Home of Grace and inundated with talk of Jesus, he has found a new calling in life. And today was graduation day.

I had the honor of sitting with the family today. The ceremony opened with the men's choir, around fifty residents whose hearty voices filled the chapel with songs of victory. Not long afterward, today's speaker was introduced. You may have guessed it: Tony Lawrence, the District Attorney. It is a small world after all.

The most moving part of the entire ceremony came when the graduation certificates were presented to each of the six graduates. Each man delivered a heartfelt speech to the packed house. With tears, and with confidence. Interestingly, one of the common themes I noticed was the recognition of thanking "mom" who had stood by them through it all. This often brought the most tears.

But the best lines of the day came from the last graduate. This mostly toothless man received the loudest applause at just the mention of his name. After a few remarks, he held up his certificate and said, "I've never completed anything in my life - except three prison terms." Then, he added the classic line, "...And I've never had a District Attorney speak on my behalf."

This brought down the house...

They say miracles happen at the Home of Grace. And I'll have to admit that, after comparing today's picture (Tony Lawrence saluting my friend and thanking God for him) with the last time I was in a room with the two of them (with my friend in handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit), I must admit that something unbelievable has happened there.


Comments:
Wonderful post, Al. As you know, I've been introduced into the world of helping people with addictions since Katrina. I feel completely helpless, except that I do believe that GOD can make the difference. My hat is off to Homes of Grace. They have helped many. I've met some of them. Now if we can only be there next time Rochelle Harper and Gary Boswell do a show there... I hear it is magical.
 
Let me know when!!!

When you get a chance, head up there on a Friday afternoon for a graduation ceremony (I think they happen every Friday, but you should probably call first). With your new work, I think you'd find a graduation most inspirational.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist