Wednesday, April 18, 2007

 
Blogger isn't allowing me to add a picture tonight. John Dobbs exults in my misery. :-)

Undaunted, I press on.

After finishing War and Peace by Tolstoy and The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne, it was time for me to buy some more books! Three arrived yesterday, and I began two of them today.

#1: THE JESUS WAY by Eugene Peterson

* In many ways, Peterson has been my pastor. His writings have meant more to me than I could express over the past 6 or 7 years. I bought the third book in his current series just because he wrote it, but imagine my surprise when "The Jesus Way" arrived, appearing to be exactly the thoughts I'm struggling with in my life. What are the odds that the topic of my assigned lecture delivered two nights ago, "In His Steps," was a summation of everything I've been reading for a year or so now? And then, what are the odds that Peterson's book is titled "The Jesus Way" (kind of similar to "In His Steps," huh?). It shouldn't seem odd to hear the sentence, "Christians follow Jesus." But I've already underlined that in Peterson's book. I'd encourage you to read the transcript of my lecture over at the blog with my wonderful Housefly friends HERE, and when you do, you'll see why I underlined that sentence - and why it's necessary to write.

#2: BROTHER TO A DRAGONFLY by Will Campbell

* I'm fascinated by the life of Will Campbell, but up to now, I've only read excerpts from his fascinating life. I've heard that this book is an autobiography of sorts. There is a sequel I believe, and I'm guessing I'll be ordering it some day, too. (For a neat summary of Campbell, go HERE. For a really fascinating article for Church of Christ folks, go HERE, too.)

#3: BLUE LIKE JAZZ by Donald Miller.

* This one is waiting on deck, based on whichever of the first two I finish first. I've heard for a while now that this is my kind of book. I just read the first page or two and I'm already in agreement. You can check out the author HERE.

Comments:
I've read the last one. It isn't necessarily my type of book, but I enjoyed it anyway, and I've learned from it.
 
I'm weird, Lisa, but I usually shy away from the books everyone tells me I "have" to read. Must be some stubborn independent streak in me.

Eventually, however, I get around to reading many of them - just not during the stage when they are "the thing" to read.

Still thinking about you all, of course. If you'd like, jump over to Desperate Houseflies from my links, look under comments on "Random Tuesday Morning Thoughts," and you'll see a little discussion between some of my most brilliant friends about what you've been facing. Your comments there would be priceless.
 
I'm reading Colossians ... I would tell you that it is "must read", but I don't want to scare you away. But it IS WOW!

No picture, eh? Well, when you're riding the dinosaur you get to rev up the engine now do ya? bahahahahaha
 
Jerk.

:-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist