Thursday, May 10, 2007

 
I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff O'Keefe this afternoon and adding the Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home to my Ocean Springs photography project. As we were setting up, a passing motorist honked at Jeff, and the picture I quickly snapped of him waving turned out to be the best picture of them all!

The Bradford-O'Keefe Funeral Home is the most beautiful building in town, but as a preacher who is too familiar with their work, I have to add that this family-owned business is run with dignity and class. I could not have more respect for how they conduct their business.

I continually remember the story one of my elders tells of when he and his wife suffered the tragedy of a stillborn child. With lots of grief and little cash, they went to the funeral home to arrange for the burial. There, they learned that the standing policy was that there would be no charge for funerals of babies. He never forgot their explanation, "We make our living off people that live nice, long lives. Not babies."

There's something about that statement that almost brings tears to my eyes every time.

Comments:
Oh, that is really sweet! It's not too common to hear things like that these days. What an encouragement!
 
Thanks, Lisa. Weird to say, but I've had some very enjoyable car rides with the funeral directors there... really first class folks...
 
Car rides with funeral directors...now there's a post in the makings ... an inside peek into a world that not many see.
 
I always say that being a preacher gets you into places you don't want to be - like the ICU, cars of funeral home directors, etc.

But I have to say that with Bradford O'Keefe the latter has been a pleasant experience every time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist