Tuesday, May 15, 2007

 
It's been a terrific day, but I'm afraid I'm just too sleepy to go into too much detail about it...

I had an amazing phone call this afternoon from Rob Shaver. Rob was my star basketball player in my sophomore year of coaching high school basketball, and a friend as well. I had not spoken with Rob over the past seven years or so until today, and during that time, he has faced a dramatic battle for his life with cancer. And he has survived. I loved hearing his story today, and I also loved that he promised to come down and see us in Ocean Springs. Soon. I cannot wait for that, and I look forward to sharing pictures when it happens with all of you...

Tonight, I had the honor of speaking to the good-looking group of college students pictured above from the University of Central Arkansas. Their campus minister, Seth Simmons, and I go way back, though we haven't spent a lot of real time together. He's an impressive young man with an impressive group, and I was honored to be asked to speak to them tonight about "being hungry for the hungry."

It was also great to be able to spend time with my friend, John Dobbs. The Central Church of Christ in Pascagoula is still going so strong in their hurricane relief efforts, and I am proud to say that the mention of their name on the Gulf Coast brings compliments from everywhere. They have been unbelievable. The group from UCA is here on their 8th trip, and they are just one of many...

Anyway, John didn't "have" to be there tonight, but he is a great example of a real friend. We stayed afterwards and laughed and talked with Seth and the UCA gang, and I didn't leave until 10pm. John even missed American Idol to come out tonight (but don't worry, he recorded it!), and I'm so thankful he did. He is an amazing friend.

And now I have to get some sleep.

Comments:
It was great to visit and laugh with you last night. Your message was excellent ... very touching. I thank God for your friendship.
 
Glad all went well for you Al.

Related to your previous post Morgan Freeman has a fancy eating establishment up in Cleveland. Took Pamella there twice while we were in MS. Nice place ... for a date.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Thanks, guys. I've heard of Freeman's place - I'd like to go sometime...
 
I think it's in Clarksdale, not Cleveland. Dee Andrews recently wrote about it on her blog.
 
JD you may be right ... it has been a while since I have been there.

But I knew I was in the wrong place from two things: 1) when we walked in the door the first thing the hostess told me to do was look in the LADIES bathroom; and 2) there were no prices on the menu.

The place is named after some jungle in South America like Medidies or something like that (spelling I am not sure of)

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Just did a quick search and it is Clarksdale. It is called Madidi's .You can find it on the web at

http://www.madidires.com/review-arkansastimesr-001.htm

Shalom,
bobby valentine
 
Just did a quick search and it is Clarksdale. It is called Madidi's .You can find it on the web at

http://www.madidires.com/review-arkansastimesr-001.htm

Shalom,
bobby valentine
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist