Monday, May 07, 2007

 
Randy Harris (the Church of Christ's "man in black") is easily one of my favorite speakers, and his sessions at Pepperdine's Lectures were no exception. It seems I'm not alone: Randy delivered each lecture to a packed house in the Smothers Theater.

Page two.

I have a headache. I've spent most of today trying to assemble a plan for my new "forty-something" class in Ocean Springs. I have high hopes for this brand new group, and I met with the class for the first time yesterday with absolutely no agenda for the upcoming class. I opened the floor for ideas, and by the time class ended I had a general idea of an approach to the class. Today, I tried to flesh it out.

After practically a full day of wrestling, I'm now prepared to teach "Counter-Cultural Christianity" this teaching quarter. It's sort of an "introduction to postmodernism" meets "the way of Jesus." Or something like that.

But I'm especially thankful today for Randy Harris' second session at Pepperdine where he outlined seven concepts gleaned from his study of ethics as to what a "new humanity" (prompted by Jesus) looks like. His depth of insight arrived just in time for me.

And now I'm tired. I have to get some sleep.

Comments:
I am slow in getting around blog-wise since Pepperdine, but I wanted to post and tell you how much I enjoyed spending some time with you at the lectures.

I am glad you could squeeze me into your schedule there between visits with Pamela and Belushi! :)
 
Randy does a great job. --CHS
 
Good to hear from you, Clyde!

And Danny, it was great spending time with you, too. It always is. As my senility takes shape, I'll probably begin to believe that I went to MBC and have always been part of the gang.

Now, quit beating me in fantasy baseball so bad! :-)
 
Plan to come to AZ in April next year as Harris is doing the PV men's retreat. The theme is "Becoming Manly Men" I can't wait to see how he unpacks that.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Wow. That will without a doubt be interesting, Bobby.

Will you sing "manly men" songs at this retreat?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist