Monday, May 21, 2007

 
Well, I didn't cry.

Today was the 4th Grade Promotion Ceremony at Magnolia Park, and my wife and I had the honor of watching 160 bright, talented, and beautiful students receive certificates acknowledging their promotion to the fifth grade. Having a 4th grade promotion ceremony may seem a bit odd to those of you with different school formats, but here in Ocean Springs the elementary schools run from kindergarten through fourth grade, so today was a milestone.

Hillary received three certificates today: the promotion certificate, an Accelerated Reader certificate, and a certificate for being one of the "five year students" that have attended Magnolia Park ever since kindergarten.

I didn't get too mushy today, but the ceremony did bring up some interesting emotions:

* It felt strange to recognize that my daughter is old enough to have spent five years doing any one thing.

* It felt nostalgic to realize how much has happened in her life during her years at Magnolia Park, not the least of which being losing her home and possessions to a deadly hurricane.

* I felt pride to recognize the bright, talented young lady she has grown to be during these years. I'll never forget that that cute little puffy-cheeked kindergartener had to miss her very first day of school because she was sick, but as she approaches her final day there tomorrow, she is healthy and happy, bright and beautiful, and a mature and vibrant young lady.

I wrote a mushy devotional years ago now where I admitted my jealousy of Magnolia Park, since it would see so many of my daughter's formative moments over the next five years. Now, looking back, I don't feel any jealousy at all. Instead, I've grown quite attracted to this neat little school. It has served my family well, and it will always bring to mind the fondest of memories.

Comments:
Congrats on the big day!
 
Thanks, Danny!

(The Lake Loons are wheelin' and dealin' in Mayberry - guess you're keeping a watchful eye on it all!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist