Friday, June 22, 2007

 
Last night involved a three-hour board meeting per my re-involvement with Habitat for Humanity, but it was a good night. I'm new to this particular board, but we appear to have a great collection of people who are at the same time intelligent, diverse, and fun. We also have a brilliant CEO in Chris Monforton, whom I trust immensely. I've taken the chair of the Nominating Committee, the group responsible for presenting new board members as well as governing the board, which is a formidable task only in that this healthy board needs to continue...

For those of you unaware, I began the Habitat for Humanity affiliate in Jackson County in the spring of 2001. I was term-limited off the board in the spring of 2006, less than a year after Katrina. When I left the board, negotiations were underway with the Harrison County affiliate to merge (under pressure from Habitat for Humanity International in the wake of the devastating storm), which was accomplished in January of 2007. I was added to this "new" affiliate in May, giving me exactly one year away from the action.

We have a new website, but it is really under construction. You can bookmark it HERE if you wish; I'm sure there will be lots of cool stuff on there soon.

Imagine our calling: eliminate poverty housing from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. A crazy thought in the first place, but given the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, it's almost laughable.

Just about as crazy as feeding several thousand people with a kid's lunchable.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist