Monday, July 02, 2007

 
I went down to Halstead Road in Ocean Springs yesterday to take in part of a nationally-sanctioned horseshoe pitching tournament. Eight competitors from four states (two all the way from Pennsylvania!) came for this, the only tournament in Mississippi.

I went to add another entry to my Ocean Springs photo-project, and other than adding another layer of sunburn to my bald head in the intense Mississippi heat, I had a great time. The competitors were so very gracious, along with being so very good!!! The lady in the background of the picture above won the tournament: one match she hit 77% ringers!!!

It was a neat opportunity. All eight of the competitors are headed to the world championships in Oklahoma, and when they were finished I had the chance to hear these world-class pitchers talk about the finer points of the sport. Did you know there were dozens of different types of tosses in horseshoes? There's the traditional 1 3/4, and there's the 3/4... There's the basic flip, and the double flip, and the reverse flip (which causes shoulder injuries). It's amazing the technical detail in pitching horseshoes!

If you're interested in learning more about this neat sport, check out the national website HERE.

I made some pits in my backyard, but I haven't used them.

Yet.

After yesterday, I suddenly have a hankering to try out that traditional 1 3/4 toss and see what I can do.

Comments:
How much is a leaner worth these days?

Was this shown on ESPN 2?

What is up Big Owl?
 
Hey Danny! They were scoring in some sort of foreign language, so I really don't know. :-)

Life is good, just trying to get better at it. Sorry I missed lunch with you all last week - I would've enjoyed it I know...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist