Wednesday, July 25, 2007

 
I'm up to my Gospel Chariot in getting ready for VBS, among other things.

Jessica, our director, chose Group Magazine's "Avalanche Ranch" package for our VBS experience this summer. It has lots and lots of fun, creative stuff in it. She asked me to be in charge of Spotlight Drama, which is a perfect match for me. I get to take lots of cool pictures and turn them into a powerpoint show involving the kids that is shown in the closing session each day. I'm really looking forward to that part.

But...

Trent, our youth minister, is the Sing and Play Stampede Leader. Another good match, except that Trent is on a trip with the teenagers this week. Our five-day VBS begins this Thursday and runs weekdays through next Wednesday, meaning that Trent won't be there for the first two days. Guess who gets to be the Sing and Play Stampede Leader for those two days?

Yee-Haw!!!!!

Now I normally wouldn't mind at all (I've learned that singing goofy songs with kids is not that big a deal after all). I tracked down a cowboy hat yesterday, pulled out my blue jeans, and found some boots, too. I was really getting into the fun! Then last evening I pulled out the song CD and realized that I was in WAY over my head. Lots and lots of new songs with lots and lots of hand motions to learn - and VBS begins tomorrow. Uh-oh.

I went to the church building last night, where Jessica and Cryste were working on decorations. I felt like a heel giving Jessica something else to worry about (did I forget to mention that she is very pregnant in addition to all the VBS planning?), but there was just no way that the songs would go off as planned.

But she was awesome. We actually had fun, the three of us, coming up with a slightly modified plan. And it will work well.

Yee-haw!!!!!

I just have to squeeze in a lot more VBS preparations today than I expected, but it's worth it for the children.

Every once in a while it dawns on me that life is mostly fodder for what really matters, which is spending time with people. Laughing with Jessica and Cryste last night, and being goofy with children tomorrow morning... those are the things that matter. The rest are just details, and not worth the stress they have the tendency to create.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist