Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 
Last night was training session number three (of ten) on my path to become a CASA volunteer. I have the tendency to get involved in too many things, but I am very glad to be getting involved in CASA. I still highly encourage others to consider it, too. You can go to the national website HERE, type in your zip code, and the search will call up where you can get started in becoming a volunteer. As the advertisement dramatically communicates above, it is rather important work.

Last night's training session was on Cultural Competency, and Miriam from Biloxi Regional Medical Center did a terrific job instructing us in this area. She focused much of her instruction on the Hispanic and Vietnamese population since both groups are notably represented in our service area. I learned I am very much culturally incompetent. I have SO much to learn.

I taught a class at church recently on "acceptance" in a world that loves to draw lines that separate. It is sadly ironic that many American Christians are scared to death of words like acceptance, diversity, and tolerance. In America, popularly presented as the great melting pot. Followers of Jesus, the lover of all.

I understand the fear. I think. It's the "I'm okay, you're okay" thinking that is in question: most American Christians don't seem to think others are okay (even other Christians). I relate to this feeling, although my lines end up drawn in funny places.

But that's not the point.

Instead, a CASA volunteer needs a session on diversity training because written into American law is a fundamental respect for differences among its citizens.

And I'm afraid Christian churches in America need similar sessions, though for a very different reason. We need to learn how to love everyone regardless of categorization first - in spite of anything that might stand in the way of love. Like God loves us.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist