Friday, August 10, 2007

 
My wife has a heart of gold, even if it means she doesn't get a lot of sleep sometimes.

Jody got up at 4am yesterday to drive nearly three-hundred miles to the northern edge of Louisiana to support friends of ours in their 9:30am court date. Our friends have fought for custody of a little boy that has had an awfully rough go of life so far. They had shared joint custody for the past year or so, where the child would spend two weeks with his mom (with no discipline and a horrible environment), then two weeks with dad (in a very good environment). The poor little guy's life went back and forth like that for over a year.

Yesterday was the custody hearing, and our friends asked if there was any way that we could be there. We promised that one of us would make it, and as things turned out, it was Jody (which, given the choice, is the best of the two of us anyway). It was so good to get the phone call from Jody on her way home that our friends were granted full custody of their son, while the mom only gets occasional supervised visits. It seems that the best interest of the child was finally served, and we are all so thankful.

Ironically, the reason I couldn't go yesterday was that my final CASA training session took place last night, and given the unpredictability of a court docket, I couldn't risk the trip. Last night's training session was the most important of them all, the night where we were told exactly what we would be doing as a Court Appointed Special Advocate. (It was still funny to think that I was here learning how to speak up for the best interest of a child, while my wife was busy speaking up for the best interest of a child!)

My training is now completed. All that now stands in the way of receiving my first case is the special induction and swearing-in ceremony next week.

I am excited, yet a bit apprehensive. Not because of the horrible situations I will encounter, nor any fear for my personal safety, but simply because I am very close to encountering the real "harrassed and helpless" people for which Jesus prayed for workers.

Stepping out of a world of comfort and engaging the real call to discipleship is a bit unsettling.

I'll see you all in court.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist