Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 
Today is September 11.

It doesn't seem like six years has gone by, though I couldn't tell you what it seems like instead. It remains one of those landmark days, but for those of us not personally affected by the loss of a loved one, it is possible for the date to sneak up without our realizing it. It sneaked up on me.

I still see lots of bumper stickers claiming that we will never forget, and overall, we won't. Both the ghastly and heroic images combine to form a solitary image, seared in our memories, labeled 9-11. My youngest daughter doesn't remember that day. She was four years old. But a whole lot of us remember, and always will.

So much as changed since those attacks - wars, public policy, the airline industry, even our national vocabulary. Then again, so much hasn't - our materialism, apathy, lifestyle...

My daughter just came in to give me a morning hug. Her oversized nightshirt, still on early this Tuesday, is an I LOVE NEW YORK shirt with the big heart there to represent the word, love.

An appropriate shirt this morning, I'm sure, on this day to remember...

Comments:
Al,
I have been blessed by your blog. I remember that day like it was yesterday. All of my boys don't remember it. My oldest only 6 months old. I remember calling my mom and wishing her a happy birthday. She was crying and told me the news. I went home to see if I could pick up any stations because we didn't have cable. We couldn't so my family loaded in the car and went to Wal-mart and watched it from the electronics department with many other americans what was going on. Many, many, Americans in tears, shock, hate, unbelief, distress. Yes, the t-shirt that your daughter was wearing this morning is very great. I would love for you to add to the discussion on my blog anytime. God bless you brother. Great post as always.
 
Thanks for such kind words, preacherman. I've heard lots about your blog, and I need to stop by much more often!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Locations of visitors to this page Click here to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist
Click to join OceanSpringsChurchofChrist